Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Will get you there!

Meeting a great mentor is not very frequent experience. Bob Bingham introduced me to Ron Bennet, a sculpture professor in art department last year. Yesterday, I finally met him in his studio at the sub-sub-basement of DH. "I am a computer scientist and I want to do something that is hard for computers - sculpting," I said. "Well, I am glad to hear that," Ron replied. I could hardly hear his voice because of the noises of the wood sawing machine operated by a student...

I told Ron that I made some clay sculptures and wanted to learn metal casting from him. Ron suggested me to attend his sculpture class but his class has been very full. "You can come anytime if you have time," he said. "Let's trade: I teach you casting and you teach me how to design a web site." "Great!" "I can show you how to build a furnace in two thousand dollars, but you have to check your zoning code," Ron said. "I see, so we won't burn down the house." "Don't worry, we would get you there!" Ron said.

No comments: